Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Pet Shop Boys - 9/2-6/09 - NYC / AC

Observing Neil's hat. Wanting one for myself.

This was my third Pet Shop Boys tour over the last 15 years and I told myself from the outset "go more than once, asshole. You always regret not doing so". After telling myself to shut the hell up I did just that and purchased tix for both the band's New York and Atlantic City appearances. And I am happy to report it was money well-spent.
There are some bands who are just shockingly good live. PSB is one of those bands. One would assume it would be a rather being boring moment in that Neil and Chris are not the most excitable of characters (both onstage and off). Taking that into consideration they consistently make an effort to surround themselves with dancers, stunning visual effects, and other homosational effluvia. For this round, the backdrop consisted of strategically placed white boxes set up in different dimensional patterns forming a screen of sorts for the op-art, cubist videos being projected upon them. Manipulated in different patterns by both the dancers and "technicians" throughout the show, it reminded me of a futuristic disco fronted by two very English poofs. In other words I want to go to there. Often.
For Atlantic City we procured VIP tix allowing us to interact briefly with the band before the show and affording us prime rail spots. The guys could not have been nicer (droll, witty, making fun of George Michael's sexual exploits = John Love). I reciprocated by becoming disturbingly drunk during the show and making an ass of myself. Yay for video. Or in my parlance "YEEAAAHHHH".

NY / AC Setlist:

1. More Than A Dream (Magical Dub) (truncated)
2. Heart
3. Did You See Me Coming?
4. Pandemonium/Can You Forgive Her? (medley)
5. Love Etc.
6. Building A Wall (incorporating "Integral")
7. Go West (incorporating "Paninaro" and "Opportunites (Let's Make Lots Of Money)")
8. Two Divided By Zero
9. Why Don't We Live Together? (incorporating "Left To My Own Devices")
10. Always On My Mind
11. New York City Boy
12. Closer To Heaven (truncated)
13. Left To My Own Devices
14. Do I Have To?
15. King's Cross
16. The Way It Used To Be
17. Jealousy
18. Suburbia
19. All Over The World
20. Se A Vida É (That's The Way Life Is)
21. Viva La Vida (incorporating "Discoteca" and "Domino Dancing")
22. It's A Sin
23. Being Boring
24. West End Girls

1 comment: