Sunday, June 7, 2009

NIN / Janes Addiction - 6/6/09 - PNC Bank Arts Center

So I found myself  having a flashback of sorts while standing halfway through the Nine Inch Nails portion of last night's show, realizing it was almost 18 years to the day since I saw these two bands together during the first Lollapalooza tour in 1991. At which point I set my happy ass down and cried copious amounts of internal tears at the realization I am just too damn old. Then I looked at the stage, saw Trent Reznor about to have an aggro-induced coronary and then felt better about myself.   
That being said, here's what developed:
NIN - Great show. Lots of energy. As you'll see from the setlist below it was skewed more towards the hard-core fans clamoring for more esoteric, b-side oriented fare. As that is not me, I was left a bit underwhelmed overall. As this tour for the band is being touted as a "farewell" concert of sorts, it was a fitting send off and tribute to the NIN aficionados. Note to tall shitbags who like to speak into each other's ears ever so softly every  minute the band is on the stage, blocking the view for people unfortunately located directly behind them - please die slow deaths.

Setlist:
Wish
Last 
Discipline
March of the Pigs
Reptile
Meet Your Master
Gave Up
La Mer
Non-Entity
The Way Out Is Through
Mr. Self-Destruct
1,000,000
Echoplex

Survivalism
The Good Soldier
The Hand That Feeds
Head Like A Hole
Hurt


Janes Addiction: You are the sun, the moon and the stars. From Perry Farrell channelling Charles Nelson Reilly in his polyester shell and kicky ascot to being accosted by Dave Navarro's large, pendulous nipples it was all it could have been and even more. In all seriousness I was more than trepiditious going into this show as it had been 18 years since I had last seen the original 4-some together. This is one of my "top 5 of all time" bands who I had seen countless times in clubs, dives and large arenas. "Nothing Shocking" and "Ritual..." are two of the most forward-thinking rock albums produced in the 20th century. There, I said it. Yes, you're right, I'm one of "those" types of fans of this band. However, after last night I found my fears were for naught. The band itself could not have been tighter. From Eric and Stephen's fantabulous rhythm section to Dave's ethereal guitar work, it was like they had been playing together as one tight-knit unit throughout all of these lost years. Perry was in rare form, dashing around the stage and mooning about lending credence to the fact that you can get old and still get HIIIIGGGGHHHH! Word is there might be a new album next year if the rest of these dates go well. Pray it will be so...

Setlist:
Three Days
Whores
Ain't No Right
Pigs In Zen
Then She Did...
Up The Beach
Mountain Song
Been Caught Stealing
Obvious

Ocean Size
Ted, Just Admit It..
Summertime Rolls
Stop!
Jane Says

No comments:

Post a Comment